Moving in to college or university is exciting, but it can also be pretty stressful. With so many things you don’t know you can feel a little confused, anxious, and excited all at the same time.
You want to ensure that your first day at college is the best one, and not one full of arguments with family members and stressful situations. Here are a few tips to ensure that your day is the best it can be.
1. Know where you are living. Write all the information about where you are living down. You will need the building name and the room number. Give one to your parents or guardian too so that they can send on any post and those valued care packages.
2. Pack your cleaning supplies at the top of the pile. The room would have been cleaned of course, but it is always nice to know how clean it is before you start unpacking your things. Touch up the room and it will feel much fresher.
3. Make a note of where you pick up your room keys. The place where you pick up your keys and fill in paperwork is different at every college; ensure that you know where to go to avoid any panic and stress.
4. Label your boxes. This will make it much easier to find something quickly.
5. Eat a big breakfast. You’re in for a busy day so make sure that you eat a good breakfast before you go. You may not know when you will get to eat again that day so bring snacks to keep your energy up too.
6. Drink lots of water. It may be a hot day on moving day and you will be doing lots of lifting and rushing around. Drink lots of water throughout the day to keep hydrated.
7. Bring something on wheels. Bring this for big items and moving boxes to save your back. The college might loan out these wheel trucks but the chances are there will not be enough to go around.
8. Know when activities are happening that day. You don’t want to miss out on orientation and meeting new people. You must find out when your meeting begins and don’t get caught up and forget to go, attendance to these activities is important.
9. Talk to people. Don’t be afraid to talk to the person who is next to you in the queue, they are in the same boat as you, leaving home and going it alone.
10. Enjoy yourself! This is a great day for both you and the staff at the college. Take part in all the activities on offer and talk to as many people as you can. Relax and be yourself, moving in day can be one of the best days at university.