No one can deny the fact that entering college is always a nerve-wracking experience, but it sometimes becomes even difficult to manage things during your first year at college. This is when you should keep the following tips in mind to make your year successful.
Doing the Basics
Be very careful about keeping your paperwork in order to start attending your college. Here, it is also important for the parents to have correct information about the tuition fee they have to pay and when. Always set a meal plan early and do your best to stick to it. When selecting a plan, you should consider specific points, like if there is a kitchen available, what your budget is going to be, and how much you’d want to eat, and what it should in the breakfast and dinner.
Pay Attention to Personal Hygiene and Fitness
It is easy to forget about your personal fitness and hygiene when you have so much to handle at college. Remember a few tricks to make things work.
• Be very careful when attending the buffet. Learn when to stop yourself from eating.
• Push yourself hard to stay active. Exercise a little regularly, even if it’s the elliptical that you hut a few times a week. Joining a fitness class will also help.
• Avoid energy drinks and caffeinated products for their negative effects.
• Keep yourself clean and know the weather to prepare yourself in advance.
Learn Everything about Dorm Living
You will have to share your room with someone else when in college, and this is where you have to take certain steps to avoid any problem.
• Get to know your roommate to avoid any issues. It is good to be considerate and courteous, but don’t live like a doormat.
• Don’t be afraid to set out ground rules, and set them early. You should discuss it with your roommate and set rules for music and noise, visitors, partying, and everything else.
• Don’t hesitate to contact your residential director in case you have a problem with something or someone.
• Always spend some time in learning about what you’re allowed to do in dorms. Some dorms are single-sex, while others are dry dorms. A few of them will have strict fire policies that you should know of.
• Socialize with others but don’t put it ahead of your health, and you will suffer if you don’t get enough sleep.
Learn to Stay Focused
To be successful at college, you need to develop the habit of staying focused right from your very first year. Here’s what you can do.
• Be punctual, even if your teacher doesn’t mind you coming late.
• Work as per a timetable. It is a good idea to get a planner and use it to keep track of your assignments, classes, and everything else.
• Don’t miss lectures. You should attend your classes if a teacher is not too strict about it.
• Do you have a learning disability? Don’t keep mum; go tell your professor about it, so they could make certain arrangements.
• Get your textbooks early, or else you will have to cough up extra money to buy from college stores.
• Understand the importance of tutoring. Ask your teacher to clarify the points you haven’t understood. If they haven’t made it completely clear, go to tutoring. Asking your peers for help is also a good thing to do.
• Don’t lose focus, and to study well, don’t shy away from taking part in every study groups available. You may even ask your classmates and start your own study group for better understanding.